Join us on June 8 at 6 pm for a virtual Category 1 Core Lecture, "Patient Safety Incidents and Adverse Events: Be Prepared."
Thank you to our sponsor:
Date: Thursday, June 8th
Time: 6 pm to 9 pm
Location: Virtual via Zoom
Course Description: PLP staff will share their expertise and use case studies in promoting patient safety and managing patient care when an adverse clinical event or negative treatment outcome arises. This interactive presentation is designed to help dentists identify an adverse event, understand their legal obligations and communicate effectively with patients to mitigate potential consequences.
Learning Objectives: At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- define adverse events;
- understand their legal and professional obligations when an adverse event occurs;
- develop strategies for communicating with patients and their families about an adverse event; and
- recognize important factors in managing patient care when an adverse event occurs.
This course will be presented by Mr. Alan Lachapelle and Dr. Peter Hong.
Mr. Alan Lachapelle graduated from Seneca with High Honours in Legal Administration in 1987. He received an Alternative Dispute Resolution certificate from the University of Windsor Law School and consolidated his credentials through management courses with the Insurance Institute of Ontario and private educational facilities.
After 7 years as a paralegal at a downtown Toronto law firm specializing in defence work, Mr. Lachapelle joined the Professional Liability Program of the RCDSO in 1994 as Claims Examiner. He advanced to Claims Supervisor and Senior Professional Liability Advisor before assuming the Department Head role in 2017.
Dr. Peter Hong received his DDS from the University of Toronto, with honours, in 1983. After graduation, he worked in public health, and started a general practice in Toronto. He also worked at Sunnybrook Hospital as a staff dentist for over 30 years. He continues in clinical practice and teaches dental students at U of T.
Dr. Hong began working for the College on a part-time basis in 2001 as a Monitoring Officer, joined the Professional Liability Program as a Senior Dental Consultant in 2016 and became the Assistant Manager - Dental in 2019.
Core 1 Lecture Requirements:
- Registration is required to be eligible.
- This course qualifies as a Category 1 Core Course as designated by the RCDSO. CDE Credits: 3.
- You are required to attend the full session, if you arrive more than 15 minutes late, or leave the session early, you will not receive the Category 1 credit.
- You are required to complete a mandatory exam – You will receive a link at the end of the lecture with instructions on how to complete and submit your exam upon completion.
- You need to complete the mandatory exam and submit it in order to be issued a Core 1 certificate.
- Your attendance during the lecture will be monitored to ensure that you have participated in accordance with the requirements mentioned above.
OAO Members - FREE!
OAO Members can bring up to 2 staff at no charge!
More than two additional staff - add $25 each (contact email@example.com if you would like to register more than 4)
Non-Member - $100
If sign up to be a member, this seminar is included for FREE - Click here to join OAO now!
Thank you to our sponsor: